“Strike Back,” Cinemax’s Emmy-nominated action series about a British counterterrorism unit, will return for its fourth and final season July 31, Cinemax has announced.
Series stars Philip Winchester and Sullivan Stapleton return as two members of an elite military unit called Section 20. The new season follows operatives Scott (Stapleton) and Stonebridge (Winchester) and the rest of Section 20 as they battle new foes in Asia and across Europe.
The 10-episode season was filmed in Europe and, for the first time ever, Asia. That was a goal set by co-executive producer Michael J. Bassett.
“We want to change the pallet and go to the East, go at a new enemy,” Bassett told me during San Diego Comic-Con 2013.
The series left Cinemax’s schedule in 2014 when production of the final season was delayed at least six months after Stapleton suffered a serious injury off-set in Thailand. Filming resumed when he recovered.
Stapleton and Winchester are joined by returning cast members Robson Green, Michelle Lukes and Chicago native Milauna Jackson.
Michelle Yeoh, Dustin Clare, Will Yun Lee, James Wilby, Adrian Paul, Joseph Gatt and Christian Antidormi will star in the new season. Other new cast members include Michael McElhatton, Max Beesley, Tim McInnerny, Leo Gregory, Mark Griffin, Wolf Kahler, Andrew Pleavin, Eliza Hope Bennett, Masa Yamaguchi and British mixed martial arts champion and UFC fighter Michael Bisping.
Bassett returns as co-executive producer, director and writer, along with directors Julian Holmes and Brendan Maher and writers Jack Lothian, James Dormer, Richard Zajdlic, Ed Whitmore and Tim Vaughan. Other executive producers are Andy Harries for Left Bank Pictures and Cameron Roach for British Sky Broadcasting Limited. Michael Casey and Sharon Hughff are series producers.
“Strike Back” premieres at 9 p.m. July 31 on Cinemax. Watch the production recon videos above and below to see what’s coming in the new season.
Just in case you don’t recognize the new cast members’ names, below the videos is a rundown of their past work.
Related: July 2015 TV premieres
Strike Back supporting cast credits
- Michelle Yeoh—”Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II”
- Dustin Clare—the “Spartacus” series
- Will Yun Lee—”The Wolverine,” “True Blood”
- James Wilby—”Gosford Park”
- Adrian Paul—the “Highlander” series
- Joseph Gatt— “Game of Thrones,” “Teen Wolf,” “Banshee”
- Christian Antidormi—”Spartacus: War of the Damned”
- Michael McElhatton—”Game of Thrones”
- Max Beesley—”Suits”
- Tim McInnerny—”Notting Hill”
- Leo Gregory—”Tristan and Isolde”
- Mark Griffin—”Doctor Who”
- Wolf Kahler—”Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows”
- Andrew Pleavin—”300: Rise of an Empire”
- Eliza Hope Bennett—”Nanny McPhee”
- Masa Yamaguchi—”The Wolverine”